Friday, August 9, 2013

Isaac James Weber - Birth Story

So this birth story is actually short, but I have a lot of words for my own journal's sake..
It all starts about a month ago.. 
We were planning a trip to go stay up at the cabin in Wyoming but at my 37 week apt my Dr put me on a 'bed rest' because I was dilated to a 4, 70% effaced. So he didn't want me to go into labor on the drive, or in the middle of nowhere. He had me thinking that I could go into labor by walking up my stairs ;) hah.
Well.. nothing happened. We stayed home.. and laid low.. (well kind of :)
The next week I hadn't progressed much, I was still a 4, but he told me that if I had ANY contractions of any sort to go in.. He told me that if I didn't I was going to have an ambulance or car baby.
bah, I didn't take him too seriously because I didn't have any super fast triggers with Kennedy or Lucas.
So on to my 39 week apt which was last Tuesday... I was a 5. He then told me he strongly advised me to be induced on Thursday. (He wanted to take me sooner but due to the schedule of the hospital, Thursday was the soonest)
Well I had a bit of mixed emotions. I kind of wanted to go on my own, but then I did have a little voice in the back of my head saying, 'Well you could go fast, and you don't want to have this baby in the car :)'
So we decided to do it!
Thursday morning, August 1st, we checked in to the hospital at 7:30 am.
Because I was so curious about how fast I would go on my own I had them break my water first, and see what happened in the next hour or two.. (no pitocin)
So they did.. at 8:30 am they checked me and broke my water. I was still dilated to a 5, & 80%
effaced for the next hour, hour and a half I wasn't having any contractions! 
Maybe a total of 8, not consistent or following any pattern. 
I started to get worried..  at 10:00 am I was still at just over a 5 so she put me on the pit drip.
I started to have hard contractions every 2-3 min.. so at about 10:30 they came in to give me my epidural.
I was still feeling the contracting at first.. they told me it would take up to 20 min to kick in..
After about 20 min I was still feeling them, the anesthesiologist came in and propped me up on a pillow and one of my legs stared to go numb.
Then the nurse came in shortly after (about 11:05 am) to see how I was feeling.. I told her I felt them (not as strong) still and I felt like I had to go to the bathroom... She pumped me up with more epidural juice.. 
Then she checked me..
Surprised, she said something like "Oh! He is low, and you are a 10 and ready to go. I will call the Dr over."
Yep, we were all surprised... So in comes the Dr about 20 min later (at 11:27 am to be exact ;)
He gowned and got ready.. We were still waiting on the nursery to come in when he told me..
"You're currently having a contraction so we'll wait until this ends before we ... never mind.. here he comes!"
I wasn't all the way numb, and I could feel him coming out, I think I said.. "but I'm not even pushing!"
That's right.. He started coming.. I didn't think that was possible. Honestly.
He just slid his way into the world at 11:39 am

Isaac James Weber
August 1, 2013 11:39am
6lbs 13oz 21in 

My Dr then told me before leaving the room.. " I am really glad you came in today.. This baby would have been a 'delivered in the car' baby.. and maybe he was right.. :)

The rest of the time in the hospital was great, we had heard some not so pleasant things about this hospital, but we liked it a lot. I absolutely loved two of the nurses, I was even lucky enough to get them twice while being there.
Because of the fast delivery and the extra dose of the epidural before the delivery I was incredibly numb afterwards. It was crazy.. I couldn't feel anything from the lower chest down, and it was a crazy sensation.. I didn't really enjoy it. I couldn't do anything. They tried moving me, I was all dead weight. I felt so useless..  I kept asking Andrew if it would ever wear off.. He reassured me "I'm 75% sure it will." hah, It eventually did. :)

Well that's a lot of me talking.. the rest can be told in pictures.



























 He had such a hard time opening his eyes at first, they were so gooped shut he spent the first few minutes of his life trying to open them.. It was so cute.
Here is a cute Instagram video Andrew put up.









 


  



 

















 




 

  






 



 








We are so happy that Isaac joined our eternal family! We are so blessed to have him, healthy and happy!

5 comments:

Krista said...

Congratulations! He is so adorable.

Anonymous said...

I have been checking your blog every day for the past month! Just waiting for your cute baby to appear. And here he is! Oh, Sophie! He is so beautiful! Hooray! So glad he is here happy and healthy. Your family is so adorable. Love you and miss you!
Tami

Elisabeth said...

He really is so adorable! How fun! I still can't get over the fact that he just "slipped out". Awesome!

Shanna Payne said...

I LOVE all the pictures and reading all about it! Congrats Soph!

Unknown said...

Sophie, I just LOVE your birth story. Amazing photos of Isaac.